It’s no secret that trade show success is directly related to how much effort you put into it. The right combination of preparation, eye-catching displays and merchandise can result in serious sales. In fact, the Center for Exhibition Industry Research has determined that 83% of show attendees have some sort of buying power and 79% say tradeshows help them decide what products to buy. 
To give you an advantage at your next event, BIC Graphic asked our sales force for their best tradeshow tips and tricks. Take advantage of the face to face opportunities shows provide with these ideas to help you stand out and get attention in a crowded space.
Less Is More
It may be counterintuitive to employ a “less is more” philosophy in your space, but limit your display to key products that are eye-catching to start a conversation. The last thing you want is people leaving your booth to escape the overwhelming feelings that can accompany a cluttered space.
- Use a selective assortment of colorful, innovative and new products to start conversations. If you have a favorite product be sure to include it in the display – your excitement will be contagious!
- Keep things within reach and organized in categories that make sense to you. Group products by type, or marketplace trends like Live Fit, Metallic and Multi-Function tools.
- Have an assortment of product samples that apply to many industries to get the most out of your display without overcrowding the space.
While a trade show can be a large investment of your time, energy and money, you don’t have to break the bank to create an effective display. Be creative to build a space that grabs attention and makes the most of your booth space – no matter what size.
- Look up! Vertical displays help in utilizing minimal booth space. Use vertical shelving units, risers, or even drying racks for hanging items.
- Create a vignette to help people envision how products can be used across markets. A Captain’s Chair draped with a blanket, drinkware in the cup holder and a KOOZIE® kooler by its side makes a statement.
- Small budget? Check Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for inexpensive shelving options. Tiny budget? Just cover cardboard boxes with cloth for low-cost shelves.
- Don’t forget to leave plenty of space to interact with visitors, hand out flyers and showcase catalogs.
A unique giveaway with WOW factor is going to get people talking and keep your business top-of-mind after the show is over. Items that have a story provide a built-in conversation starter and give you plenty to talk about.
- Do your research. Prior to the show make sure you understand who is attending. The demographic at the show will help determine the best giveaway item (IE: Young crowds respond well to technology).
- Bring functional handouts that are useful and/or interactive. Take the time of year into account and be sure to merchandise for holiday and seasonal factors.
- Seasonal promotional flyers, catalogs, and vertical market guides are go-tos. Also any product specials.
Questions to Ask Suppliers
- What are the hottest products right now?
- What are some emerging trends in the industry?
- What are your best sellers?
- Do you have a list of high-margin items?
- Why have you chosen to display these awesome products?
- Be sure that a bag is being given away at tradeshow entry. If not, providing a bag as your handout could be the most useful item people receive!
- Remove the guesswork and have an approximate price displayed on products.
- Don’t forget a “goodie item” to attract people to the booth and literature they can take away.
- Use a logoed tablecloth, name badges and lanyards to be sure visitors know who you are.
- If you’re not sure where to start, find client-focused shows like Chamber of Commerce events or shows that are tailored to a specific industry.
- Don’t be afraid of color! Have bright show shirts for staff and remember light & bright when selecting your display and showcasing product.
- If you partner with a supplier, only show their items and ask if they will provide product to enhance your display and maximize your space.
Be sure to stop by and see BIC Graphic in Vegas and Orlando this January to check out our NEW booth experience:
The PPAI Expo | Las Vegas, NV | January 14-18 | Booth #5431
ASI Show | Orlando, FL | January 2-4 | Booth #1401