Using a Supplier with high product safety standards is the best way to ensure items for your clients are aligned with their values. BIC Graphic NA complies with product safety and regulation standards that we stand behind, so you can feel confident.
As more and more technology surrounds us every day, it is important to know tech products are evaluated and safe to use. BIC Graphic NA power banks, wireless earbuds and chargers, USB drives and other accessories are tested to applicable standards and requirements to help avoid unsafe product malfunction. Read on to learn more about what to look for when it comes to providing safe technology items for your clients.
- Tech Safety Terminology
- UL Certification
- Qi Wireless Charging
- Prop 65
Tech Safety Terminology
The various marks, certifications, listings and symbols can be confusing when it comes to the world of technology products. Here is an overview of some common terminology:
- UL Certified Mark
- Identifies products that have passed the applicable UL testing standard and that are part of UL’s Follow-Up Service
- UL Recognized Component Mark
- Lithium batteries are recognized under the UL Component Recognition Program and the lithium battery has passed UL 1642 testing.
- UL Listed Mark
- Identifies products manufactured under UL’s Listing and Follow-Up Service
- Identifies products that have been fully qualified and declared through the Bluetooth Qualification Process
- FCC Mark
- Identifies electronic products manufactured or sold in the United States which certifies that the electromagnetic interference from the device is under limits approved by the Federal Communications Commission.
- ETL Mark
- Identifies compliance to the requirements of product safety standards as determined through independent testing and periodic follow up inspections
- Qi Mark
- Identifies products that have been fully tested and certified to the Wireless Power Consortium standards
Why is UL Certification Important?
When it comes to electrical safety in North America, UL is the gold standard. UL brings clarity and connects people to safer, more secure, more sustainable products – enabling smarter purchasing power. 
When a product like a power bank carries a UL Listed or UL Certified Mark, it means UL found that a representative product sample met their requirements. Buying UL Certified products is a guarantee that products are manufactured and assembled with the highest degree of safety.  BIC Graphic NA supplies UL Certified/Listed power banks at a wide range of price points so you don’t have to sacrifice safety due to budget constraints.
Qi Wireless Technology
Qi technology creates an electromagnetic field through a connection between the transmitter coil in the charging device and a receiver coil in the electronic device to be charged. This process allows power to be transferred safely from transmitter to receiver without wires. 
Main concerns with wireless charging include safety risks due to overheating, device damage and incompatibility. Qi wireless chargers offered by BIC Graphic NA are tested to ensure safety, interoperability and energy efficiency with Qi-enabled devices.
California’s Proposition 65 doesn’t just involve the technology category, but it should always be an important consideration with every order, especially in 2018. New Prop 65 requirements go into effect on August 30th, 2018, and not staying up-to-date with these new requirements can be costly to promotional suppliers AND distributors. You can learn more about the upcoming changes to the Prop 65 Warning Label requirements here.
Working with a supplier that values safety and quality will go a long way towards being ready for the new Prop 65 regulations. Nearly all of BIC Graphic NA’s product SKUs are Prop 65 compliant and do not require a Prop 65 label when shipping to California.